This is a pilot program by the Lupus Foundation of Northern California in conjunction with Regan Moves™ to help lupus patients who suffer from fatigue and joint pain to regain the freedom of movement. Regan Mizuno, the proprieter of Regan Moves™ used her mechanical engineering background and her experience as a lupus patient to design this innovative, patent-pending program. Regan is fitness instructor certified by the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America.
I have been blessed in that I live a normal, healthy life. After being diagnosed with lupus several years ago and receiving chemotherapy for 2.5 years, I was technically put into remission. However, my continued struggles with pain, fatigue, and being overweight dampened my quality of life – and my sense of who I was.
Then I was blessed to discover a method by which I could regain my energy and strength. By incorporating a common sense approach towards diet and exercise that I could accomplish, I regained my quality of life. My joint pain decreased, and my energy level greatly increased. Today my prognosis is excellent.
· Free-weight lifting and aerobic exercise incorporating engineering principles
· Designed to minimize impact, making each exercise achievable
· Modifiable to every person’s activity level
· Exercises can be done from a chair
· Variable range-of-motion exercises
· Gentle, effective movements
· Diet and Nutrition component to stabilize energy levels
What do I get out of it?
· Work as hard as you want
· Decrease your joint and muscle pain
· Increase muscle mass, bone density, and core strength
· Increase your focus
· Be a part of a group working together towards common goal
· Enjoy your body’s movement again
· Learn how food and exercise can help decrease inflammation
The program provides ways in which you can improve energy levels and increase the comfort of your workout. Regan started by lifting only her own body weight, then progressed to lifting soup cans. Every little bit counts; every effort makes a difference. You can do it.
About REGAN MOVES(TM)
If you have a chronic condition such as lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, chronic fatigue syndrome or other chronic condition, try the patent-pending REGAN MOVES – joint and muscle-friendly exercises designed specifically to help those living with chronic conditions. Learn more at reganmoves.com and beatlupus.com.
Leveraging a small grant from the Walmart Foundation, the LFNC is happy announce a class schedule for the next months.
Upcoming "Moving with Lupus" Schedule:
All classes from 11am - 12 noon, unless otherwise noted.at the Atrium at 2635 N First St, San Jose (downstairs from LFNC offices)